Wednesday, April 9, 2008

The exam oriented nation

I know many people will agree with me when i say that exams have( may i say ) damaged our way of life. Yes i do agree that exams has it benefits, however i feel that we(mainly refering to asians) have got ourselves very obsesed in getting the best possible result we can obtain. Personally I don't really see the big deal about getting straight A's or getting the top student award. I know there is that feeling of joy and pride when u get a result slip with all A's but that feeling may last for only a day or maybe 2. I feel that there are much better things in life that can bring us joy. I feel that the exam orientated lifestyle only constricts our creative mind. We only know what we know from the books. Most of us only memorise several thick books and then vomits out what they have learned during their exams. I don't consider these people(including me) to be smart. My definition of a smart person is a person who can think analytically and creatively-a person who can use what they have learnt and try to make something out of it. A person who will ask WHY and HOW and not only says YES. So i advice you people to not only commit your life to your studies and get your creative juices rolling.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

=.='' is this suppose to encourage me to bring less alcohol back ? :P

pra said...

maybe... it is just my opinion

Ng Xin Zhao said...

You are totally correct, so as the International Science Olympiads does encourages creative thinking and original solutions, I highly recommend it to everyone. Btw get rid of that word verification please, it's annoying.

Anonymous said...

you're right,all these years we've learnt things that we don't even bother to remember,or apply in our daily lives.what can we do but to achieve those grades in order to get what we want?unless you've suggestions on other things which we can do to become the smart person whom you defined,assuming that we've insufficient money and support.